Blog Archive

Monday 8 February 2016

Changes to Soundtrack According to Peer Feedback

Having shown our trailer to peers we collected some feedback on which we could improve our trailers. For me, this meant making a few edits to the soundtrack. Comments that we got were that there was not enough happening and not enough defining moments within the music. 

To tackle this issue I reviewed our trailer and decided one pinnacle moment that I could define through sound was when we see the mirror being punched. I did debate using a shattering glass effect, however was not convinced it would be effective and may take away from the rest of the trailer.


Instead of this I found an Apple loop named 'Boom 3', which fitted in well with the trailer.


Upon finding the section of the music where this occurred, I added the loop in. The loop does, however, have quite a lengthy reverb which I didn't want to carry on. To lessen this I used the track tool on Garageband and pulled the ending in towards the climactic moment at the beginning of this effect. 


This was effective, however with the music over the top of it, despite altering the dynamic contrast it still became hidden. To sort this issue I remembered a common convention in soundtracks for the social realist genre, that there is normally a gap in music when some thing has happened. 


I was able to utilise this convention and did so by splitting the ongoing sounds at the region head and dragging them down to a separate track. Other than enabling me to accurate move them to where  wanted them on the track, it also allowed me to edit the dynamics. 


By editing the dynamics in the final section of music I enabled the 'Brixton Lights' sound to be the overriding sound over the 'altered state beat' and 'curiosity synth'. This also implied to an audience that a new section and atmosphere had been created.


Another thing which I decided to do with the music was to pan the different sounds. I did this so that not all the music would aurally be on top of each other, allowing an audience to clearly be able to hear the different sounds. 


Finally, I decided that I would fade out the music using Garageband, instead of doing it on Final Cut Pro. I did this using the master volume control which gave me a lot more control about when and how quickly the sound would fade.

To evaluate, I believe this new edited music has now been edited to fit with the changes suggested in our peer feedback, therefore producing a much better soundtrack than previously created.














No comments:

Post a Comment