Blog Archive

Tuesday 15 December 2015

Typography Practical

After researching different typographies to use for our own film, I have created different typographies for our film, and then as a group we have decided which one is best. These typographies all look similar, however all have subtle differences. As a group, we have decided on a brief for our typography:
  • The typography should have a realistic hand writing feel
  • The typography should have different colours, preferably black and blue. 
  • Should experiment with the sizing of individual letters. 
To make these typographies, I used the program Paint Tool Sai, and used my digital art Bamboo tablet. I used the stabiliser S-2, as I tried S-7 however because this was very restrictive, it didn't allow me to write the typography and make it actually look freehand handwritten. 

Idea 1:

  • For my first attempt, I used the pen tool at thickness 12, and experimented with the sizing of the letters.
  • We wanted to experiment with the sizing of letters, because the discontinuity of the letters reflects the character's own breakdown and imperfections. 
  • I also used a blue colour for the 'ME' which highlights the word and makes the title much more personal to the character and therefore more relatable to the audience. 

Idea 2:
  • For this typography, I kept with the same pen and thickness.
  • I changed the colour order of the words, the 'ME' is still highlighted because of the other two words are in a different colour, however, I felt that this didn't have as much of an impact as when the 'ME' is alone blue. 
  • I also changed how the individual letters are sized and exaggerated the 'E' in 'EATING'. 

Idea 3:
  • For this typography, I used a different tool, the brush tool, still at the thickness 12. The brush tool gives much more rounded edges and has less of a texture in the writing. The brush tool, I think wouldn't be the best tool to use because it has a less realistic feel of being hand written. 

Idea 4:
  • Because of the disadvantages of the brush tool, I went back to experimenting with the pen tool.
  • I changed the thickness to 20, as I thought the typography may have issues on the website and poster of being visible, and it is vital to have the same typography throughout the film, poster and website.
  • I made the sizing of the letters more equal, in that they finish at the same point at the bottom, like it is written on a straight line. 


Idea 5:

  • For this typography, I kept to the pen tool and to the thickness of 20.
  • I made the sizing of the letters much more unequal and obvious that they are unequal and purposeful. 
  • I kept the 'ME' as blue because this is the colour that the group decided, after reviewing my ideas, that they liked for it.
  • After discussing with the group, this is the typography that we have decided to go for in our film because of the positives of each idea, being brought together in this typography idea. 




No comments:

Post a Comment