Blog Archive

Sunday 27 September 2015

Foley Practical

What I Used
  • Camera
  • Microphone
  • Editing software
  • Carrot
  • Brush
What Did I Do?
  • Using the idea of foley I recreated two noises which I could record the actions of but could record the sound separately
  • I recreated a dogs tail on the floor and a hit
Dog's Tail
  • The first one I did was of a dog's tail on the floor
  • Having filmed this I uploaded it to the computer and then set up my computer webcam and external microphone to separately record the noise to make it more intense. 
  • Before muting the original noise the original film sounded like the video above
  • I then recreated the sound by brushing a paintbrush lightly over my work surface in time to the movement of the tail - this can be seen in the top right hand corner of the final video
The Hit
  • Secondly I recreated a sound which is commonly recreated using foley, this was of a punch/hit
  • The original is shown above before the addition of sound
  • I then recreated the sound by snapping a chilled carrot in time to the video, portraying the impact of the 'hit'
Evaluation
  • This is something that can be recreated in a small home studio, however larger more intricate sounds may prove harder to recreate and need additional support by other members of my group
  • It is effective as sounds which otherwise could be lost can be emphasised and if needed in a scene this could be useful (for example in horror during a dramatic scene)
  • Evaluating how to recreate the sounds is enjoyable, however is time consuming and, depending on what is used, could become costly if done incorrectly multiple times



No comments:

Post a Comment